Wednesday, June 29, 2011

More Good Reads

Last week I attended an event at Joe's Pub in New York City, featuring Nathan Englander, Jennifer Egan and Karen Russell. I really wasn't familiar with Karen Russell's work but found her amusing and entertaining at the event, so I decided to pick up Swamplandia! her critically acclaimed novel, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's a quirky tale of a precocious preteen growing up in a family who runs an alligator theme park on an island near Florida.

I've also been enjoying the stories in Etgar Keret's פתאום דפיקה בדלת of late, when I feel like reading Hebrew. And I was delighted to learn that none other than Nathan Englander himself is translating it. Look for "Suddenly a Knock at the Door" some time next year.

I found Jennifer Egan to be refreshingly humble about her writing. Especially for a Pulitzer winner. She seems like a genuinely nice and likeable person. My wife enjoyed "The Keep" which I look forward to reading in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment